1. Q: Where can I purchase Brunswick Sardines and Seafood Snacks?
A: Brunswick products are sold at most major grocery stores in Canada, as well as a number of international locations. They can be found in the canned seafood section. If you require assistance, please contact us and we will be happy to help you locate a retailer in your province.
2. Q: What is a herring? What is a sardine?
A: To learn about herring and sardines, please see our Sardine School page. A sardine, as recognized worldwide under international Codex standards, is any one of several species of small, saltwater fish in the herring family that are cooked and canned in a special way. The North Atlantic herring (canned in Brunswick products) is a small saltwater fish that is also known by its scientific name, Clupea harengus. These fish travel in huge schools and live in the cold waters of the open ocean ranging from Greenland to North Carolina.
3. Q: What are "Genetically Modified Organisms" (GMOs)? Does Brunswick sell any?
A: GMOs are living things that have had changes introduced into their genetic material to enhance specific natural properties like pest or disease resistance. Some examples of GMOs currently being researched are vitamin-enriched rice and fast-growing salmon. To learn more, see this article by Nature.
Brunswick does not sell any genetically modified fish. All of our sardines are wild-caught. The soya oil used in some of our products, however, may be genetically modified. Current regulations do not require the identification and labeling of GMOs, so consequently, our products containing refined soybean oil may or may not be produced from GM soybeans. Labeling either as “containing” or “not containing” could be equally inaccurate.
4. Q: What is the best way to open a can of BRUNSWICK Sardines or Seafood Snacks?
A: 1. Place the can on a flat surface such as a table or countertop.
2. Hold the can firmly at one end with one hand and with the ring accessible at the other end.
3. With your other hand, lift the ring until it touches the rim of the can to break the score. Make sure you bring the ring back to touch the rim.
4. Pull the ring up and back at approximately a 45 degree angle until the lid is nearly removed from the can. Be careful to avoid the sharp edges of the lid.
5. To completely remove the lid and avoid any splattering, gently move the lid back and forth until it snaps off the can.
Preparation & Storage
5. Q: Do BRUNSWICK Sardines and Seafood Snacks need to be refrigerated?
A: No, BRUNSWICK Sardines and Seafood Snacks are shelf stable and do not need to be refrigerated unless they are opened. To maximize shelf life, they should be stored in a cool, dry place. After opening, they can be kept in a refrigerator in a sealed container for a maximum of four days.
6. Q: Do I need to cook BRUNSWICK canned seafood products?
A: No, you do not need to cook BRUNSWICK canned seafood products. We’ve already done the cooking for you. Our canned seafood products are conveniently ready-to-eat. Our products can also be used as ingredients in dishes that do require further cooking.
7. Q: What is the shelf life of BRUNSWICK Sardines & Seafood Snacks canned products?
A: Brunswick products are printed with a Best Before date for recommended best quality use. Our canned products may be safely stored for several years in a cool, dry place, as long as the cans are not bulged, leaking, or otherwise damaged, and the seams around the lid are intact. (If these conditions are present, the product should not be consumed.) Palatability (taste) may be affected over prolonged time periods, especially under adverse storage conditions such as high temperature. It is recommended, therefore, that canned sardine inventories be rotated every one to two years to assure the best quality.
Health & Dietary Concerns
8. Q: What are the nutritional benefits of eating BRUNSWICK Sardines and Seafood Snacks?
A: BRUNSWICK Sardines and Seafood Snacks contain a powerhouse of nutrients including omega-3s, calcium, protein, iron, vitamin D and selenium. Please see the next question for more information.
9. Q: What are Omega–3s and why are they important?
A: Omega-3s are a polyunsaturated essential fatty acid required to maintain good health. They are one of the "good fats". Eating foods that contain omega-3s, like sardines, has been linked to reducing the risk factors for several major diseases.
Doctors have long recognized that the omega-3 fatty acids in fish appear to reduce the risk of heart disease, as well as playing a crucial role in brain development and normal functioning. Apart from these, the EPA and DHA found in fish and seafood offer many other important health benefits, including:
- lowering blood pressure and cholesterol
- decreasing risk of stroke and blood clots
- reducing the risk of macular degeneration, the leading cause of age-related vision loss in Canada
- aiding in fetal development and infant brain, eye, and nervous system development
- alleviating symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, Crohn’s disease and other inflammatory diseases
- protecting against certain cancers such as breast, colon, and prostate
- boosting the body’s immunity
- may help prevent type-2 diabetes
For more information, check out our articles on Omega-3s.
10. Q: Are BRUNSWICK Sardines & Seafood Snacks Kosher?
A: Yes, all BRUNSWICK Sardines and Seafood Snacks are certified Kosher under the Orthodox Union. The encircled U that appears on the packaging indicates Kosher certification.
11. Q: Do BRUNSWICK canned seafood products contain any preservatives or glutens?
A: All BRUNSWICK Sardines and Seafood Snacks contain no preservatives and are gluten-free.
The modified food starch found in some of the sauces is derived from corn. We've updated the packaging and all references to modified food starch have been changed to modified cornstarch so that people with gluten allergies will know that these products can be safely included in their diets.
For more ingredient information on Brunswick products, please see our Products section.
12. Q: Do BRUNSWICK Sardines & Seafood Snacks contain MSG?
A: BRUNSWICK Sardines and Seafood Snacks do not contain MSG (monosodium glutamate). For more ingredient information on Brunswick products, please see our Products section.
13. Q: Should I be concerned about mercury in BRUNSWICK Sardines & Seafood Snacks?
A: No, you should not be concerned about mercury in BRUNSWICK Sardines & Seafood Snacks.
Because mercury has a cumulative effect as it moves up the food chain, small fish (like herring) have the lowest concentration levels, while larger fish (like tilefish and swordfish) can be a concern to consumers.
As added assurance, we operate under Canadian government standards that ensure raw materials are in compliance with government-set safety levels.
14. Q: Do Brunswick cans contain Bisphenol A, commonly known as BPA?
A: 100% of Brunswick packaging has been converted from BPA liners to an alternative.
15. Q: How is herring caught? Is it a sustainable resource?
A: Our herring from eastern North America is caught using mid-water trawlers, purse seines, or weirs. The fishery is jointly managed by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in Canada and by regional fishery councils in the United States. Herring is an extremely prolific and fertile species and, depending on spawning conditions, is subject to inter-year variations that do not necessarily affect the long-term stability of the resource. The Governments of Canada and the United States, with the participation of the fishing industry, work together to ensure that large and healthy stocks of herring will continue to be a sustainable resource. For more information, please visit our Sardine School and Sustainability pages.